Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Flooding

Darrin's hometown (and where I attended school) of Elkader is having the worst flood in history right now. This is the 2nd flood this year. It's a town fairly used to flooding, not that it gets any easier to deal with. My senior year we started and ended our softball season on a diamond other than our home diamond because it was under water. My dad said that the girls have yet to play a game on their diamond this year (the softball season starts in May and runs until August). Darrin's aunt emailed us these pictures and just thought I'd share. In the email she sent, she said flood stage is 12 feet and they were over 28 feet this morning.

Part of Main Street- it houses many businesses including a bank, the only grocery, fire station, and wellness center.

Catholic Church- it has never made it to the parking lot before


One of the banks in town



Main City Park- has a campground, the high school baseball field, and the city swimming pool

3 comments:

Suzan said...

This weather has just been so crazy and all the flooding is heartbreaking. Hope all of your family is ok.

Bethany said...

I didn't see an email address when you left your post. I go to OK Sewing and Vac on 72nd. It's just in front of the Nebraska City Furniture Mart store.

He sells Pfaff, Janome and Brother. I know there's a Bernina dealer in Omaha somewhere.

Glad you are okay. We had a tornado hit the next town over. We hit the basement as well. No flooding though. Just a lot of lightning and thunder.

Hazel said...

Oh my those poor family's ,my prayers are with them .