Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Disappointing Start

Yesterday was the first day of spring break, and while it wasn't a bad day, it just didn't live up to all the expectations I had.

We went to a city Easter Egg Hunt yesterday. We got to the park 30 min before the start of the hunt. The 0-3 age group was in an area 20 yards by 20 yards, and parents could help collect eggs. Now, some eggs are filled with candy and some with tickets for large prizes. They said go, and people just took off. If we had let Ian walk, he would have gotten trampled. I took him to an egg, and he didn't know what to do, so I talked him through it. Apparently, while I was teaching him how to pick up an egg and put it in the basket, all the other eggs were picked up (there had to be about 1000 eggs out there). Darrin and I were so disappointed we waited out there for 30 minutes in the cold for one stinking egg. I was even more aggravated by the fact that I had missed an hour of quilting time with the girls for Ian to get one egg. As we were driving in the car afterwords, Darrin and I deciding this particular hunt was a one-time thing for our family, Ian shouted from the backseat, "I got egg in dinosaur (his basket)." It put it in perspective- Ian was THRILLED he got even one egg. The trip was worth it to him, and helped improve our take on the day as well.

Darrin and Ian dropped me off at Sara's place for quilting. My goal for yesterday was to get Sara's birthday present bound and finish my block-of-the-month for guild. I got two sides done on her present, and was halfway around the third side when I realized that when I sewed down the binding, I didn't grab the top of the quilt in some places. Instead of ripping it out, I just moved on to my BOM. Someone pointed out that at least it was the first side that I didn't grab it on, but the current side, so I didn't have to rip out so much. I got to work on my BOM, but didn't get it quite finished before it was time to go eat.

Things for the day improved from here on out. We went out for dinner at Spaghetti Works. While we were there, a balloon lady came around and made Ian a "cycle bike" (motorcycle). He didn't want to let it go. When he went to bed that night, I had to put it within his sight. After dinner we went to Hot Shops where Noah's photography was on display, along with others in the Metro Photography Club. It was his first gallery showing. There were some very interesting photos taken and techniques used to print them. I learned a lot. We went back to Noah and Marlena's to celebrate. We had Amazing ATE-layer dip and some delicious caramel pumpkin pudding cupcakes. It was a great time sitting around and talking with friends. Ian even went to sleep there with no fuss.

It's snowing out now, so it's a good time to go hole myself up in the basement and finish the quilting projects I didn't get done yesterday.

No comments: