Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

It's Amazing

what one can accomplish in a weekend. I don't know if it's the impending due date (six weeks) or Ian's impending birthday party (four weeks) but this 3-day weekend saw us get a lot of stuff done around the house AND have time for fun. Fun stuff first...

Darrin and I had probably our last date night before the baby is born. For Christmas he gave me tickets to see Little House on the Prairie the Broadway musical playing here in Omaha at the Orpheum. We went out to eat first at a restaurant called Taste. We never would have ventured there had it not been suggested to me by two friends on Facebook. It has a very contemporary atmosphere, which is different for us, but the food and service was fantastic. I had a salad with coconut-crusted chicken topped with a strawberry-pineapple puree. I wish they would have served the puree in a glass, because it's the closest I've come to a strawberry daiquiri in awhile. Darrin had an 6-hour roasted pork roast and it was yummy, too. The service was so fast that we got downtown early enough to stop and grab ice cream from Ted and Wally's. The show was pretty good. Not as great as The Lion King, which I'd seen there, but it made me laugh and smile, so that's good. It's been awhile since I've read the Little House books, so some things I remember didn't match up with the show, and that frustrated me.

On to the productive weekend...

I got the center for the baby quilt done this weekend. All it needs is the borders on before I can sandwich it. This is a miraculous event if you ask me, considering I didn't even buy the fabric until Thursday. Saturday the girls came over for sewing, and I got the blocks 2/3 of the way done. Finished them up yesterday, and pieced it today. I've always wondered how people get some quilts done so fast, and now I know- you must choose the right pattern. Apparently I've been picking out waaaayyyy to time-consuming of patterns. This pattern went together so quickly. I could see myself using it over and over again. And to think until earlier this past week I had given up the thought of even having it started before the baby's arrival.

That's about it for my productivity this weekend. My goal was to get the first week of lesson plans written for my sub, but I was too excited thinking I could actually get the top pieced that I didn't get them all done. I did force myself to finish MOST of the things on my school to-do list before I worked on the quilt. Darrin, however, had an even more productive weekend. Our microwave went kaput on Friday, so he installed a new one for us. We've had really bad ice dams with all of our snow, and they finally melted off the roof, so he climbed the roof and glued down some of our shingles that had been lifted. And he installed a new closet system for himself (during the middle of the night a few weeks ago while we were sleeping, we heard a noise. Turned the light on and his closet shelves had just pulled right out of the wall). I like it so much I'm hoping he can do mine next weekend. He has been very handy lately, and I've been very impressed.

I'm wondering if all this productivity may have nothing to do with the impending dates, but instead the gloomy weather we've had. No snow, but no sun. Just fog 24 hours a day. The only neat thing about it is that it's really pretty when it freezes to the trees at night:

And, just because no post for me is really complete without a picture of Ian. Here he is after sledding down the hill in our backyard. The snow was very crusty on top and he wasn't heavy enough to indent it at all, so he FLEW down the hill. He probably would have crashed head-first into our house had it not been for the snowdrift in front of it (over his sandbox). He went feet and head first into it, and decided that was enough sledding for the day. As adventurous as he is, I doubt we get him back on the sled at all this season...
He also claimed Darrin's closet as his "house", and was a bit disappointed to see it get filled up with clothes.

1 comment:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Looks like a great weekend. Six weeks? WOW! So exciting!