Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sigh of Relief

If I can accomplish what I need to today (finish lesson plans and quilt binding), I think I'll be as prepared as I can be for the baby. Well, prepared enough that I won't be stressing if I should go early, because I really would like to make it through this next week at work (only students Mon-Wed with conferences on Thursday).

Here's a look at the quilt so far and the outfits we've picked out to bring either Annaliese or Isaac home from the hospital in. The clothes look so small on the quilt! All that's left is to hand sew the binding down on three sides.

This is a close-up view of the quilting. I free-motioned an actual quilt (only the border) for the first time in my life. The only other things I've done are a Miranda bag and a fat-quarter sandwich. It took about two hours of figuring out the tension and ripping and only about 15 minutes to actually quilt. During those 15 minutes I forced myself to keep going no matter what- however it looked was how it was going to end up. I think it turned out WAY better than I expected, and I love the variegated thread. I learned a few things, too: fast speed but slow hands is key; small loops are easier than big loops; and I've got to figure out a way to move the quilt more smoothly, either change the way I hold it or something. (The colors in this picture are washed-out. The full quilt shot above is more true to the way the quilt looks).
I'd just like to note that this quilt wouldn't have been possible without the ladies at Country Sampler, as they stayed open late helping me pick out the fabric, then I went back a different day and they helped me find the perfect thread, and when I stopped in this week to pick up fabric for another project, they remembered exactly who I was and asked if it was done yet. They rock!

So, what do you think: will it be an Annaliese or an Isaac who gets the quilt?

5 comments:

Leigh said...

Holy COW Colleen! You got huge since I've seen you last! Won't be long now!!! So excited for you. Great job on the quilt!!

Leigh said...

Also, regarding your udder cover sewing project - I bought one, but I was unable to breastfeed so it's never been used. It's yours if you want it!

Cindy said...

Your quilt turned out really great. The quilting looks fantastic. I'm voting for a girl.

Jennifer said...

Wow, the quilt looks great and so does your FMQing! So happy for you that you got it done before baby arrives. Can't wait to hear when he or she makes her arrival!

Moneik said...

The quilt turned out great! You did an awesome job on the fmqing. Can't wait to hear if it's a boy or a girl.