Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Meet my Neighbor

I have been spending a lot of time at our dining room table sewing this past week (it's not finished, so no pics yet). Our table is right next to our patio door which overlooks our backyard. While sitting there, something caught my eye. Meet Varmit- our new neighbor.
He/She lives in our neighbor's white shed, and has frequented our yard once this week. I thought it had burrowed under, but no. With cat-like abilities, it climbed up the fence and over.

I noticed him last fall, but it was dusk so I didn't get a good view. I remember saying something along the lines of, "There's a beaver in the neighbor's back yard!" I knew it couldn't be a beaver, but I couldn't think of what else it was. Now my guess is a ground hog/wood chuck. According to the humane society animal control page, they won't come and remove it unless it is sick or harming humans. And seeing how it doesn't live on our property, I don't know how much we can do about it. I'm surprised it hasn't left yet, as the neighbors who live there have three dogs, and the golden retriever definitely knows something is in that shed. As long as it stays out of our yard, I'm curious to see what it does and if it sticks around.

1 comment:

Suzan said...

They call them "groundhogs" around here and they will eat your plants, dig tunnels in the yard and, if you get close, smell terrible. Just hope it stays in the neighbor's yard!