Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Verna

Verna is the name of my great-grandma; my maternal grandfather's mom. She passed away when I was 14, but I have some fond memories of her. She was a die-hard cubs fan, and her front flower bed had a sign that she'd change showing if they had won or lost. When we visited, we would always eat egg salad sandwiches open-faced on hamburger buns. Her cinnamon rolls were the best... except for the one time, when her vision was starting to go, she substituted pepper for the cinnamon. While they didn't taste good, we still joke about that time 16 years later.

So when I walked into the quilt store before Annaliese was born, I noticed a line of fabric called Verna. I thought it would be really nice to make something out of that line, but I was on a mission to finish Annaliese's baby quilt. Then I saw this pattern on Moda Bake Shop and knew I had to make it. I gave it to my mom for Mother's Day, and am planning to make something for myself with the leftovers. I know I won't be able to look at it without thinking of the wonderful memories I have my my great-grandma.

2 comments:

Moneik said...

What an awesome tablerunner and so special with the name. I'm sure your mom will love it.

Tricia said...

That is beautiful, I love it!