Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Ian's Jack O'Lantern

Last night we went to the annual pumpkin carving party over at Marlena and Noah's house. After some of Noah's special chili, we headed outside to carve and eat smores. The weather was perfect; there have been some years it has been downright frigid, but this year was great. When I asked Ian what he wanted his pumpkin from Pooley's to look like, he said he wanted it to have a mean face. I asked Ian what that looked like, so he showed me what he wanted.

I want it to have a mean face like this
Ian's Mean Face

In years past, Ian has always been willing to dig into his pumpkin, but lately he doesn't like anything on slimy or slick on his hands, including paint, and now apparently pumpkin goo. After the first initial feel, this was as close as he was willing to get.
This is as close as he came to pulling the guts out.

So, we took an alternative route, I scraped the insides loose and he would flip the pumpkin and dump it out.
Dumping out the guts

I am most definitely not an artist, but thankfully Noah is really good in that department. After he drew on the mean face, Ian sat down and helped me cut it out.
Carving the mouth

When we were all finished, he posed with his mean face and his jack.
Does my pumpkin look like me?

2 comments:

Moneik said...

These are just too cute. I love his "mean" face. Looks like lots of fun.

Deb said...

I love these pictures, I always look forward to your updates and the pictures. I will for sure have to copy these for my folks too. Thank you for sharing