Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

I'm not a food blogger...

but trying new recipes is something I enjoy, especially when it results in a meal we really enjoy.  That was the case tonight.  We love having breakfast for supper around here.  It's one meal that's guaranteed to get no complaints from anyone.  I've been making pancakes from scratch lately and tried another new recipe tonight.

I think I can safely say that I have found my go-to pancake recipe.  These flipped beautifully- nothing stuck to the pan, my spatula, and didn't break when I tried to flip them.  They browned nice and evenly, another thing I had never gotten from another pancake recipe.  They were quick to mix together.  And they were super healthy; whole wheat flour, oatmeal, and Greek yogurt.  I didn't feel guilty when Annaliese ate 5 of them.  Only she can attest to how they tasted plain, though, as Ian and I topped ours with a blueberry-banana  mixture that tasted great with the pancakes. There was good reason for Annaliese not to have the mixture: just look at how she looked after eating a Cheerio-yogurt mixture this morning. 
Yogurt Face

There's no way I was letting her feed herself and I was too busy flipping pancakes and she much too impatient to wait for me (Darrin was not home tonight).   To quote Ian from supper tonight, "Mommy, that was the goodest supper ever!"

It was the Goodest Supper


Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes
adapted slightly from blondiernner @ Tasty Kitchen 
made 12  1/4 cup pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 cup Oatmeal (original recipe called for rolled oats, not instant. I used what I had on hand).
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 3/4 cup Greek Yogurt (original recipe called for 6 oz weight, I didn't notice that until just now. I did that conversion wrong but it worked for me! It also called for non-fat, but we used 2% for Annaliese)
  • 1/2 cup  Milk
  • 2 whole Large Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla 
  • Couple shakes cinnamon (I didn't measure and original recipe didn't call for cinnamon.)
Instructions:
  1. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl with a whisk.  Make a well in the middle for the wet ingredients.  
  2. In a small bowl/measuring cup, combine yogurt and milk with whisk. Mix in eggs and vanilla. 
  3. Pour wet mixture into well in dry. Combine mixtures until just mixed. Lumpy is good.
  4. Cook them up and enjoy :) 


Blueberry-Banana Sauce
from foodandwhine @ Tasty Kitchen 

a few notes: This was a bit tart. When I make it again, I may try adding a bit of sugar.  I will probably double the recipe as well, as we barely had enough for just Ian and I.

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole Banana, Sliced
  • 1 cup Blueberries (I used frozen)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon Water Or Juice (I omitted because I used frozen berries. If using fresh, I would include)
  • 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
Instructions:  Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until thickened. 

No comments: