Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Quilt Retreat Project

It's that time of year again when I have to figure out what I'm going to work on at quilt retreat. This year, I know it will be the tree skirt I've been meaning to make for seven years. Other things with a due date or intended for other people always took precedence. But I don't have anything pressing right now, so it's finally time for the tree skirt. It is essentially a log cabin diamond quilt-as-you-go. I hated the way they used the colors, though, in the pattern, where the outer half of every diamond is red, but the upper half is part green and part neutral.

Here is the fabric I pulled from my stash to use for this, followed by two mock-ups.

fabric selections
tree skirt alternating
tree skirt green outer
On this one, the red and green could switch so red was on the outside. 




So here's where I need blogland's opinion.  I know my mock-ups didn't include all possible ways of doing the tree skirt so I'm open to other ideas, and I'm also open to adding/reducing colors.  If you were going to make this skirt, how would you do it?  And to those that don't quilt, your opinion is welcome too. How would you like it to look?

Edited to add: I did some googling and found this one, which is different than my mock-ups.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I like the first one a little better, but both of your versions look good.

Anonymous said...

I think that you should do the yellow/golds on the outside and use the reds and greens on the inside.

or

All red on the outside...and greens and yellow/golds on the inside...

Just my thoughts. Meeghan