Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday Picnic

When I think back on my childhood, one of the things I remember is going on a picnic with my family after church.  We'd head to Pike's Peak, Effigy Mounds, or Osborne, eat lunch and walk the trails.  Whether or not that really happened or is just a childhood memory I've fabricated in adulthood, I have no idea, but I'm sure my parents could set me straight.

I'm hoping it was something we did, because it's something I'd like to continue with my family.  Today after church we headed to my favorite picnic place, Chalco Hills.  We ate a picnic lunch of Subway for Darrin and me, peanut butter and honey for Ian, and cheese cubes and bread for Annaliese, with apples, yogurt, and chips for all who wanted.  After lunch we walked the trails, spotting a turtle, along with two deer, all of which made Ian's day.  We finished off the trip watching Ian play at the park. 


He put his own hat on...
Ian put his own hat on- my little homeboy

Picnic lunch
Annaliese ended up eating everything on her plate.

Legs
Ian @ Chalco 5/08                                          Annaliese @ Chalco 6/11

Love those curls!
I love those curls!

Trail at Chalco
The start of our trail walking. Wasn't long and Ian wanted to turn back.

Turtle in the rass
And if we had listened, he would have missed seeing this turtle, which we heard walking through the grass before we saw it.  When it breathed, it's mouth puffed up like a frog's. 

Deer #1
The first deer we saw. We stood looking at it for 3 minutes before it slowly moved on.

Troll Bridge
Annaliese and Ian on what we call the Troll Bridge.  Ian was fascinated by the water running under.

Deer #2
Deer number two. This one didn't like us hanging around and started grunting at us.  I now know what sound a deer makes.

Darrin and Annaliese
Darrin and Annaliese watching the deer.

Chalco Slide
Ian enjoying the park.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a great day!

Moneik said...

Sounds like you had a fun day. I love picnics in the park.