Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

My First "Thoughtful" Layout

This morning a new "thought" went live over at Thinking*Through*Design: handstitching. This was my first opportunity to be a Thoughtful Girl (TG) over there and I loved it.  I couldn't have asked for a better thought to start with.


DSC_0243crop

This layout took a lot more time than it should have, but I love the end result. The photos are from a photo shoot Noah did for us for our Christmas card in 2008.  Ian was such a ham that day; just wanting to play and play.  Getting a shot where we're all looking at the camera took some trickery on Marlena's part.  I started this layout on National Scrapbook Day (May 5) at a scrapbook store, where I found the ornament paper (fancy pants) and cut it into a die cut.  I loved it on the green cardstock, but I only had one sheet and the store didn't have one that matched, so I had to do some piecing to have it spread across both pages.

Once the ADORABLE photos were down, I wanted a way to replicate the red strip that's on the right page on the left, so after I free handed a border in pencil and punched my holes, I used some of the DMC floss from my cross-stitch days and added a border to the die cut.  One of my favorite ways to add a little something is to hand stitch on lines already on the paper. It's hard to tell in the photo, but the 'string' hanging the ornaments I stitched with a combo of metallic and cream sewing machine thread (and also added a bit of sparkle to the ornaments with some stickles). The pages felt unbalanced to me with all the stitching on the left, so instead of using journaling strips like I usually do, I stitched my journaling lines. Another thing I love about hand-stitching is the ability to vary the boldness of the look by adjusting how many strands used. For each stitching I did, different amounts of strands were used.

To finish it off, I cut the trees out from another Fancy Pants sheet of patterned paper, added the sparkle hearts, and inked over some pinkish/red Thickers to get the color of red I wanted for my title (messy, but I got what I wanted).  The layout is based on a sketch by Allison Davis. 

Make sure you pop on over to TTD and check out all the other wonderful layouts that incorporate hand-stitching.

No comments: