Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Epiphany

I was sitting at work, reviewing IEPs, and waiting for the clock to hit 4:15. All I could think about was picking up the kids and getting home to finish the scrapbook page I had laid out on my table. This wasn't the first time, nor the last time, I'd had those thoughts. And then it dawned on me- this must be what Moneik and Jennifer think of quilting.

I met both of them online back when I thought of myself as a quilter. I had found them through blogs and even had an online group for awhile.  But I never understood how they quilted so much- how they got so much done during the week.  It was like quilting was all they could think about.  I enjoyed it, but it was more the final product than the process I enjoyed.

I had dabbled in scrapbooking while I was quilting. Scrapbooking was frustrating, though. It didn't have a pattern like quilting and I wasn't happy with the composition of many of my pages. And then I got this, what I thought was a novel, idea, to take the pages I liked in magazines and create pages that looked like them. And it all took off from there. Quilting is still something I do, but more out of necessity and because I feel guilty for all my fabric, but what I really love, what I think about while at work and can't wait to for the kids to go to bed so I can, is sccrapbook.  

Club CK is part of the reason I love scrapping, too. The inspiration and support there inspires me to create more.  

Here's a few of my recent layouts:
DSC_0393edit
Annaliese playing in Lake Michigan while vacationing at Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore. The rocks around the pink are rocks I picked up while we were there.  Layout  was based on a sketch from Scrapbook Generation. Most of the papers and embellishments are Fancy Pants.  Created for a challenge to incorporate a unique border.



DSC_0362edit
Last year for advent, we did an activity ever day. This layout documents all of them.  Can't believe I got 24 pictures to fit in an organized, cohesive manner on a layout.  Created for a challenge on traditions.
DSC_0315edit
A page for our bike trip around Mackinac Island- an 8.2 miles ride. I scanned  the map from one of our brochures and blew it up.  Created for a challenge to use a number in your title.
DSC_0312 copy
Page for Annaliese's first Halloween. Such a cutie pie! Created for a challenge to incorporate vellum (bee's wings and journaling block.
DSC_0174edit
One of our advent activities was a camp-out by the Christmas tree. Love the Christmas tree on this one, and how I used a grommet that I've had in my stash forever. Created for a challenge to do a layout based off an inspiration piece.  My inspiration piece had a large stitched heart.
DSC_0822
I created this one for Thinking*Through*Design, to create a page with dimension.  The stitched leaves didn't turn out as I had hoped, but I love  the title area with leaves and buttons. Annaliese's first time playing in the leaves.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Aw, thanks for the shout out! I am so glad you have your passion in scrap booking, and don't let the fabric guilt you into anything! Love the layouts you share even though I am not a scrapper....maybe we should do some trades! Lol

Moneik Stephens said...

Isn't it funny how something can consume our lives so much! When you have a passion for something it shows through in a lot of what you do. I love your layouts, but I am not a scrapbooker. I tried with Mikaela, but luckily I had a friend do the layouts and I just had to add pictures. That was more work than I really enjoy, but it's done. It's fun to have something to think about at work and spend time doing to relax.

Debbie said...

You are so talented, I can understand why you think about it at work, because you create such beautiful layouts. I usually just glue pictures and articles on paper, you take it to a whole new level. I love them