Pages

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Advent Dec. 15 & 16

Advent activity for Dec. 15 was celebrate birthdays. It was my birthday that day, so I opened presents of new sheets and kitchen utensils (both things I asked for, so Darrin did well). We also went out for lunch at Ruby Tuesdays, where I had coconut shrimp and Caribbean chicken and a red velvet cupcake for dessert. Between opening presents at breakfast and going out for lunch, I made 48 cupcakes (I made 24 the night before) and after lunch I made three types of frosting before heading over to Marlena's house. She threw Noah a surprise 30th birthday party that night, and I helped prep some food, rearrange the house, set out the beer (it was a beer sampling party) and finish the cupcakes.  It was a great way to spend my 32nd birthday, because I got to spend it with family and friends.

DSC_1032
The beer sampling table. Hidden behind are two non-alcoholic beer varieties and two root beer varieties.
DSC_1036
The spread of food. The cupcakes I made are (from l-r) root beer, chocolate vanilla porter, and orange blue moon.
DSC_1039
Noah entertaining the kids at his party by reading Chowder.


Advent activity for Dec. 16 was deliver our Salvation Army Adopt-a-Famly gifts. One of the things I want to accomplish through some of the activities both this year and in the years to come is the idea that Christmas isn't just about getting presents, but that it's also about giving of yourself. This year was our first year adopting a family. We adopted a single mom with a seven-year-old boy and a baby girl due any day.  I included Ian in shopping for the boy and both he and Annaliese helped me wrap the presents just a few hours before we delivered them. They were fighting over who got to put the tape on the presents, so we had to alternate whose turn it was. The silly things they argue about...
DSC_1040
The gift for the mother is required to be a gift certificate to a grocery store.
DSC_1045
Helping me wrap the presents.
DSC_1047
All wrapped up and ready to go.

No comments: