Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Garden 2013 | Post One

I know it's been awhile since I posted. I've gotten majorly behind in Project Life, and without it's context, the photos just seem a bit random to me. We haven't really had a big event or done anything really important since Easter around here.

That said, the weather cooperated earlier this week (right now it's raining and should be changing over to snow any minute) and I was able to get the early planting veggies in the ground.  They probably should have gone in the garden a couple weeks ago, but it's been so wet and cold.

Here's a view of our entire garden.  We have three out of sixty-four plots at our church. We inherited the plots last year. It includes the two raised beds, and then the entire back bed (part of it will hold squash, which is not yet planted).  The closer bed is perennials (see below). In the farther raised bed, I planted 10 hills of red potatoes.

Here's a box of perennials we inherited.  The rhubarb is doing really well and we'll probably have some by this weekend or next.  Last year the rhubarb did awesome and we were able to eat it until October.  There is asparagus spears coming up to the left of the rhubarb. When we got the plot last year, these were already too tall and reedy to enjoy, so I'm looking forward to getting some this year.  At the top of the bed there are strawberries. Last year there were some blooming already when we got this bed. I don't know if I should have done something to them in the fall, but they did not come back well at all!

In the large garden, I have peas on the left side with the chicken wire fence. The outer two lines on the right are carrots. In the middle is lettuce and spinach.  My plan is to plant my peppers and tomatoes in between the two, so they can take over the space of the spinach/lettuce when it dies away in the heat.  Green beans will go between the peas and carrots.
We're supposed to get precip the next few days, and hopefully the sun will shine and my garden will grow.  We'll see how this all works out.

No comments: