Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Sandwiches

DSC_0347 copy


I have made it a goal of mine this summer to make as many varieties of homemade ice cream as possible. I've had this recipe in mind ever since I saw it, and it finally came to fruition.

The ice cream itself churned up better than any ice cream I've ever made in my maker. Usually it doesn't come out frozen enough to eat right away- it needs to spend some time in the freezer first. But the consistency and taste of this was perfect.
DSC_0343 copy
While it was churning, I melted the chocolate in the microwave and started to fill the liners.  I did a bit of math to figure out how much chocolate to put in each portion (1/2 Tbsp. was what I came up with). It didn't look like enough, however, so I used as much chocolate as the recipe called for on the bottom, and then melted more when it came time for the top. BIG MISTAKE! When it came time to eat them, the chocolate was so thick and hard, we couldn't bite through it. Thinner is better in this case.
DSC_0346 copy
Annaliese helped me put the ice cream on top once it had finished churning and the chocolate had frozen. I sent her on her merry way and topped them off with more chocolate and popped them into the freezer.
DSC_0345 copy
Needless to say, everyone ate their entire dinner so they could have one of these for dessert. They were soooo good.

A couple more thoughts, besides the thinner is better:
- the peanut butter ice cream is great on its own. I might just dump some mini chocolate chips in towards the end of the churning next time.

- the cupcake liners made for great serving and portion control. I might use them for the one Ian picked to try next, even though it doesn't need liners. Keeps us from eating the entire batch in one sitting...


No comments: