Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Layout | Children are made Readers...

on the laps of their parents.  Darrin and I spend lots of time reading to the kids, and they spend lots of time by themselves reading and looking at books. As a teacher, it's something I greatly value. We snapped these pictures when Annaliese was little. I remember thinking at the time how intent she was looking at the book for such a little girl. Ian has always loved reading (and I'm happy to say that over this past summer, we started reading chapter books aloud to him and he is loving the Boxcar Children. I'm so glad I can share pieces of my childhood with him). 

I printed these photos in black and white because the lighting between the two photos really bothered me. One was really white, and the other was really yellow, and no matter how I tweaked it in PSE, it wasn't working to my liking.  They were sitting in my to-scrap stack when the challenge at Child's Pay rolled around to UNO.  I have no pictures of us playing UNO and couldn't think of how to incorporate them. Devra, the coordinator there, suggested using the color scheme on a layout, and that lead to this:


In real life, it's a black background with red, yellow, green, and blue strips of paper. Looks a bit off here.  I cut the title (a quote from Emilie Buchwald) out on the Cameo Silhouette. I don't own one, but I knew Archiver's would do cuts, so I designed it at home and headed there.  It gave me the chance to observe how well the silhouette worked to see if I want to add one to my Christmas list. There are definitely perks to having one, but I spent A LOT of time doing the title and having it cut (took three tries), and I probably could have gotten results that looked just as good with Thickers and tiny alphas. 

Come play along with us at Child's Play Challenge. I took inspiration from UNO and it turned into this. Can't wait to see what you'll turn it into. 

Supply list:
Cardstock: Bazzill
Patterned paper, embellishments, date sticker: My Mind's Eye
Wood veneer stars: Studio Calico

No comments: