Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Tomato Sauce | Take Two

Last summer I started making tomato sauces. I dislike fresh tomatoes, but I love sauce. The one I made last time was okay, but I wasn't close enough to my favorite jar kind (yes, I have a kind I love). So the search continued for something that was just as yummy. Cue the email to Darrin's Grandma and her recipe. It's yummy. The secret ingredient- beef buillon.

Between the time I was making sauce last year and now, I bought a food strainer. HUGE time saver. I can skip the steps of cooking the tomatoes first to get the skins off and squeezing the juices out; it does it all for me with cold tomatoes. And an even bigger time saver- having some cute assistants run it for me.



Once it's all separated, and the onions are softened, dump the tomatoes in, add the spices, give it a good stir, and let it simmer all day.  Since the strainer makes it so thin, I usually have cook down by almost half to get the thicker consistency I like.


Grandma's Spaghetti Sauce
10 lb tomatoes (about 12 large- I use roma, so it takes more)
2 cups onions
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
4 tsp instant beef bouillon (or 2 packets)
4 tsp dried basil (I use a combo of fresh and dried until my basil plant gets more prolific)
2 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano


Remove skins and seeds from tomatoes using preferred method. Saute the onions and garlic in the oil. Once soft, add in other ingredients, stir, and simmer.  To speed the process along, you can add up to 12 oz of tomato paste.








No comments: